In addition to the minimum wage requirements of federal wage and hour laws, there is an overtime pay requirement that mandates that employers pay nonexempt employees one and one-half times their regular rate for any hours worked in excess of 40 hours in a workweek.
Complying with overtime rules. In complying with the overtime requirements of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), be sure that you:
- determine who's subject to overtime rules
- understand what constitutes a workweek
- compute each worker's regular rate
- comply with state laws on overtime pay
- can't pay overtime wages other than time and one-half (there is a small group of businesses that can use other methods)