Realspace� Magellan Performance Collection L Desk, 30H x 70 9/10W x 23 1/5D, Cherry
Great appearance and functional desk under $400
I love my new desk with Tilt 'N Plug in my office cubicle!
October 6, 2014
Nice desk, 5hr assy, buy desk protectors
Pros: The end result in cherry finish looks beautiful; my drawers aligned perfectly with no adjustments required. Delivery was smooth, the guys brought the two boxes (200+lbs) to the room on a hand truck and the packing was excellent,there was no damage to any board. The assembly instructions and process were excellent.
Cons: Assembly will really take 5 hours (and I have a lot of experience putting furniture together). The surface finish is thinner than paper and easy to scratch so buy some desk protectors and a furniture marker.
- Office Depot sells a large black desk protector that looks snappy and goes in the middle where your mouse and keyboard are likely to cause the most wear and tear. I suggest clear desk protectors for the other top surfaces.
- Get a furniture marker in the same color...there are going to be scratches and they will be conspicuous because the ultra-thin surface finish is dark relative to the underlying particle board.
1) Allow 5 hours; it is really going to take that long. You can only use hand tools (no power drivers) so don't think you're going to speed it up that way.
2) Give yourself a big work area with lots of soft surfaces (carpet). If you don't have soft surfaces, use the box tops flattened.
3) The privacy panels (long boards that go between the center post and the file cabinets) are easy to install backwards; the cams go on the *outside* of the desk and are covered with plastic dohickys; the top won't mount with the privacy panels installed backwards.
4) The center top piece requires 2 people to install; it is *very* heavy and large. I managed to do it by myself, but the damage to my finger where it got pinched is still healing. There are several other steps that are *much* easier with two people and are tough by yourself.
The end result is a beautiful, sturdy desk, but it is very heavy and was too much work to assemble. My main concern now is durability; I was disappointed that it did not include a touch-up marker since the surface is ultra-thin and seems easy to scratch; fortunately, I have some bookshelves in the same color that came with markers.
Custom desk protectors would be a good up-sell item for Office Depot.
For the price (when on sale), it's a good purchase as long as it holds up to wear and tear.
October 6, 2014
This desk is very roomy and has a very nice finish. For the price you can't get a much nicer corner desk than this. I had read some people saying the assembly is difficult. My experience was an assembly that was really well laid out with parts separated into little bags labeled for each step.
It does take about 4-5 hours to assemble, but just turn something on in the background you want to listen to and it passes pretty quickly. The only thing I would advise is to make sure you get the sides of the drawers on right. They can be put on backwards easily and everything goes together fine. The rails have to be correct though for them to slide in.
October 5, 2014
Pros: Looks very sharp! Assembly was relatively painless; comes with cut-outs for cables in the desktop with cover and the hutch also comes with cut-out for cables to drop down the back; hutch also comes with lots of storage; great piece of desk equipment for the money;
Cons: Desktop scratches easily and shows fingerprints. Computer tower doesn't fit underneath without sticking out (because depth of desk is short); doesn't come with a keyboard tray; filing drawers are too low; with hutch, you will need under cabinet lighting as it's too dark; Suggest adding "L" brackets underneath the desktop to support the pieces staying together in anticipation of having to move it for any small reason!
September 25, 2014