It’s easy to assume the “green” could either mean “make more money,” or “go green environmentally.” Well, Green Monday means both. The one-two punch comes courtesy of the fact that it’s considered the second biggest day for online holiday shopping, after Cyber Monday, and because online shopping is typically regarded as more environmentally friendly than driving from store to store.
The Green Monday meaning reportedly came about in 2007 when eBay noticed it was historically the company’s best sales day. The day also is often referred to as “Cyber Monday 2,” which shows you its prominence for SMBs focused on holiday retail success.
When is Green Monday 2019?
Green Monday is the second Monday in December, so this year Green Monday falls on December 9th, 2019.
It’s an ideal time to reel in shoppers for Green Monday deals who may just be realizing their available shopping days are slipping away as the holidays fast approach.
How can I offer Green Monday deals?
Shopping online is quickly becoming a preferred channel for customers. In fact, the National Retail Federation revealed that 41.4 million people only shopped online during the recent busy Thanksgiving weekend, 6.4 million more than shoppers who exclusively visited stores.
Capturing these online shoppers and jumping on the trend of Green Monday deals is crucial for SMBs who want to win the 2019 holiday season. Here are five quick ways to raise your profile and generate goodwill with new and repeat customers:
1. Go green on your website. Leverage the sustainability aspect of Green Monday by having a “green out” on your website—literally tinting your pages green. You can make sure to highlight specific environmentally friendly qualities of your products and of course any Green Monday deals that you are offering.
2. Promote Green Monday in social media. Consider creating a series of special social media posts highlighting your Green Monday deals along with a sustainable message that showcases why online shopping can be more environmentally friendly. You can tap into existing hashtags by searching on your social sites to see what’s trending, or create your own that you use throughout the day and can promote on your site and with customer emails and communication.
3. Generate excitement around the time sensitivity of the day. You can offer a variety of specific Green Monday deals and display a countdown clock prominently on your site to underscore the limited nature of the sale.
4. Be charitable. Consider making a donation to an earth-friendly cause for each purchase a shopper makes on Green Monday.
5. Parlay Green Monday purchases into repeat business. You can offer a special code that customers can use for a future purchase or in exchange for forwarding your email or tagging you on social media with your Green Monday hashtag.
As SMBs prepare to bring in the green this season, try to be sure to make Green Monday a crucial part of your online sales playbook.
About the Author
Cathie Ericson is a freelance writer covering business and consumer topics. She creates branded content for Fortune 500 companies, and her work has appeared in LearnVest, Costco Magazine, Forbes, TheGlassHammer.com and IDEA Fitness. Follow her @cathieericson.
All content provided herein is for educational purposes only. It is provided “as is” and neither the author nor Office Depot, Inc. warrant the accuracy of the information provided, nor do they assume any responsibility for errors, omissions or contrary interpretation of the subject matter herein.
/account/v2/editBillingDisplay,/orderhistory/subsManager,/orderhistory/submitReturn,/account/accountSummaryDisplay,/account/loginAccountDisplay,/account/myfiles,/csl/listAllhttps://request.eprotect.vantivcnp.com/eProtect/js/payframe-client3.min.js?d=20200807 Join Now