The Privacy Laws provide residents of California, Colorado, Connecticut, Utah and Virginia with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your rights under the Privacy Laws, explains how to exercise those rights, and provides information about the response timing and format and your rights to appeal our decisions.
Access to Specific Information, Right to Know, and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that Office Depot disclose certain information to you about our information collection and disclosure practices. You also have the right to request a copy of the specific pieces of personal information we collected about you. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you::
- The categories of personal information we collected about you, the categories of information we shared for a business purpose and the categories of information we sold during the prior 12 months.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you since January 1, 2022, subject to certain exceptions.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that Office Depot delete your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies. For example, under certain Privacy Laws, we may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities and to help to ensure security and integrity to the extent the use of your personal information is reasonably necessary and proportionate for those purposes.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research that conforms or adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s ability to complete such research, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us and compatible with the context in which you provided the information.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it
Information Correction Rights
You have the right to request that we correct information that we hold which is inaccurate. We will require that you provide information about yourself so that we can verify your identity before we can make any change in the information we hold about you and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to make the requested corrections. In some cases, for instance if you have an account with us, you can update your information by logging into your account.
Please see below for information on how to exercise these rights and response timing and format.
Your Opt-Out Rights
Do Not Sell My Personal Information
You have the right to opt out of the sale of your personal information. Once we receive your request, we will opt you out from the sale of such information.
Do Not Share My Personal Information; Opt out of Targeted Advertising
You have the right to opt out of having your personal information shared for cross context behavioral advertising purposes and having your information used for targeted advertising.
Sharing your personal information means making it available to a third party so that they can use it for targeted advertising or cross-context behavioral advertising purposes.
Cross-context behavioral or targeted advertising means that we display an advertisement to you that is selected based on personal information about you that we obtained or inferred over time from your activities across other companies’ websites, applications, or online services that we use to predict your preferences or interests. Targeted advertising does not include using your interactions with us or information that you provide to us for us to select advertisements to show you.
Right to Limit Use and Disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information
You have the right, at any time, to direct us to limit our use of your sensitive personal information to that use which is necessary to perform the services or provide the goods reasonably expected by an average consumer who requests those goods or services. This does not include sensitive personal information that is collected or processed without the purpose of inferring characteristics about you.
Right to Opt Out of Profiling
You have the right to direct us not to engage in profiling using your personal information. Profiling is any automated processing performed on personal information that is used to evaluate, analyze, or predict personal aspects related your economic situation, health, personal preferences, interests, reliability, behavior, location, or movements.
Exercising your rights
Exercising Do Not Sell and Do Not Share My Personal Information Rights
You can opt out of the sale or sharing of information for targeted, cross-context or behavioral marketing purpose in several ways.
- Visit our online Do Not Sell or Share My Information page and submit your name, ZIP Code, email address and phone number with your request. We will use the information you submit for purposes of processing your request. We act upon your request within 15 days.
- Call our toll-free phone number 1-800-463-3768. We will ask for your name, ZIP Code, email address and phone number with your request. We will use the information you submit for purposes of processing your request. We act upon your request within 15 days.
- Visit a kiosk in any of Office Depot or OfficeMax stores located in California and submit an online request.
- Activate certain user-enabled global privacy controls, such as a browser plug-in or privacy setting, device setting, or other mechanism, that communicates or signals your choice to opt-out of the sale and sharing of personal information. When we receive such a signal we will stop setting cookies on your browser that involve a “sale” or “sharing” of your personal information, to the extent and as required by Privacy Laws. This will opt you out of the sale or sharing of information relating to that specific device through cookies to our advertising or analytics partners. Your selections are specific to the browser and device you are using and the website you are visiting. This option does not stop all sales or sharing of your information because we cannot match your device’s identification or internet protocol address with your personally identifiable information like your name, phone number, email address or ZIP Code. You’ll also need to visit our online Do Not Sell or Share My Information page [link] to opt out of other ways in which we may sell or share your information. If you delete cookies on your browser, any prior do not sell or do not share signal is also deleted and you should make sure that your user-enabled setting is always activated. You will need to exercise this option on each of our websites that you visit.
This website uses certain third-party tracking tools that collects information about you passively. In addition to opting out of the sale of data collected by Office Depot, you may also opt out of the collection of your information by such tools by clicking here.
Exercising Access, Deletion, Profiling, Correction, and Limit Use of Sensitive Information Rights
To exercise the access, deletion, profiling, and information correction rights, and the right to limit use of sensitive information described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Visiting our Website Portal available here
- By calling 1-800-463-3768
- At any of Office Depot or OfficeMax stores
- By sending us an email here.
Only you, or an agent that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. We currently do not collect household data. If all the members of a household make a Right to Know or Right to Delete request, we will respond as if the requests are individual requests.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you.
We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
We will provide a confirmation email to you within 10 days of receipt of a request for access, deletion, or correction. The confirmation email will explain how we will verify a request which will vary depending on the type of request made. We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request for access or to delete within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. We will deliver our response to the email address you provided when you made your request. For a request not to sell or share your information, to opt out of profiling, or to limit use of sensitive information, we will respond as soon as feasibly possible, but no later than 15 days from the date we receive the request.
Any disclosures we provide may only cover the 12-month period preceding a verifiable consumer request. However, you may request that we disclose the required information beyond the 12-month period, and we will honor that expanded request unless doing so proves impossible or would involve a disproportionate effort. Your right to request required information beyond the 12-month period, and our obligation to provide that information, shall only apply to personal information collected on or after January 1, 2022.
For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance (e.g. Microsoft Excel file and/or Adobe PDF file).
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
You may make a request for access twice in any 12 month period. You may make all other requests at any time.
Non-Discrimination; Notice of Financial Incentive
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your Privacy Law rights. Unless permitted by law, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Financial Incentives: From time to time, we may offer financial incentives in connection with the collection or use of personal information, including in connection with our Loyalty Accounts and Rewards. The material terms of the financial incentive will generally be presented to you at the time you sign up. You may withdraw from any financial incentive at any time by emailing us at email@example.com.
If you request to delete your information, we will not be able to provide you with a Loyalty Account. Loyalty Account holders can receive Rewards and certain offers not available to consumers who do not have a Loyalty Account. The personal information collected and maintained to service our Loyalty Account holders is reasonably related to the value of such information to Office Depot.
Appealing denied requests
If we have denied your request you have the ability to file an appeal with us. To file an appeal, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, email address, and phone number.
We will respond to you in writing within 45 days explaining the reasons for our decisions. If we deny your appeal you can contact your state Attorney General at:
Office of the Attorney General
Colorado Department of Law
Ralph L. Carr Judicial Building
1300 Broadway, 10th Floor
Denver, CO 80203
Office of the Attorney General
165 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106
Utah State Capitol Office Mailing Address
Office of the Attorney General
PO Box 142320
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-2320
General Office Number:
Office of the Attorney General
202 North Ninth Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219
Feel free to contact us if you have more questions.
You can email us or write to us at:
Attn: Legal Department Privacy Team
Office Depot, LLC
6600 N. Military Trail
Boca Raton, FL 33496
We may update this Policy.
From time to time, we may change our privacy policies. We will notify you of any material changes to our Policy as required by law. We will also post an updated copy on our website. Please check our site periodically for updates.