This promotion is for Rewards members only. To take advantage of exclusive offers like these, join Office Depot® OfficeMax® Rewards now!
Asus RT-AC87U IEEE 802.11ac Ethernet Wireless Router Item # 697346
Thank you, you will now be redirected to comparisons.
Just a moment while we prepare the page
Check In-Store Availability
Meet the ultra-fast 802.11ac Wi-Fi router with a combined dual-band data rate of 2334 Mbps for smooth up to 4K/UHD video playback, ultra-fast file-sharing of large files and low-latency online gaming.
|ISM Maximum Frequency||2.40 GHz|
|manufacturer||ASUS Computer International|
|virtual private network (VPN) support||yes|
|warranty length||2-year limited|
|What's Included||Wireless AC2400 Dual-band Gigabit Router; 1 x RJ-45 Cable; 1 x Power Adapter; 1 x QSG; 1 x Support CD (user manual and ultility)|
|Wireless LAN Standard||IEEE 802.11ac|
|Wireless Transmission Speed||2334 Mbit/s|
From the Manufacturer|Powered by
Praised for Networking Excellence
Readers' Choice Award Router Brand 6 Years RunningFor 6 years running, ASUS has received the PC Mag Readers’ Choice award for its home networking routers, receiving excellent marks for our ease of setup and product reliability.
Unbeatable HardwareInspired from the gamer-centric G series notebook, RT-AC87U borrows its design concept from a Stealth Fighter jet with understated curves that beckons power and sophistication. VESA mountable, make RT-AC87U soar as you place it on a wall.
- Twin 1 GHz dual-core processors - Robust multitasking performance that effortlessly handles your most demanding internet tasks from all your connected devices simultaneously.
- Built-in traffic management – Detects specific activities on your network and intuitively optimizes them for the best performance.
- Dual USB ports – Connect a printer, 3G/4G dongle or USB storage device and, with USB 3.0, experience up to 50MB/s read and write transfer speeds 3
Game-changing Wireless PerformanceReaching new heights of wireless performance, RT-AC87U is a wireless AC and N router that gives you up to 2334 Mbps of concurrent wireless performance – that’s TurboQAM enhanced for up to 600 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band and up to 1734 Mbps on the 5 GHz – far surpassing the competition.
- Master the current generation – RT-AC87U goes beyond leading high-end performance, it also dominates current generation wireless for the best performance on all your notebooks, smartphones and other connected wireless devices.
Signal CoverageFeaturing a true 4x4 antenna design, RT-AC87U gives you up to 5,000sq ft of wireless coverage4 that’s 33% further than the latest generation tri-band routers 5 , making it your ideal choice for large homes and multi-floor buildings. Thanks to AiRadar beamforming and unique multi user-MIMO technology, the more devices you use the more the throughput increases 6 .
- Multi-user MIMO technology – RT-AC87U is the 1st router to support multi-user MIMO technology for up to 2 times faster performance than single-user MIMO when streaming or transferring data in multi-device environments 7 .
- AiRadar beamforming – Combining 802.11ac universal beamforming technology, high-power amplification and exclusive ASUS RF fine-tuning, ASUS Ai Radar delivers up to 33% further coverage than 3-stream antenna designs. In real-world tests, RT-AC87U lets you stream 2 Full HD videos flawlessly at its maximum 5,000sq ft distance.
Set “LAN Speed” RecordsRT-AC87U comes with 4 gigabit Ethernet for up to 1000 Mbps performance each and features hardware NAT that intelligently analyzes and optimizes traffic based on its type so whether you’re playing an online game, surfing the web or video chatting, you’re getting the best performance for your task at hand.
- Hardware NAT – Removes the bottleneck between the internet and the home network, enabling 2-5 times faster WAN-to-LAN performance vs. traditional software-based NAT.
- Link aggregation – Connect a PC with two Ethernet connections to it for combined performance.
- Dual WAN support – Convert a LAN port into a WAN and use 2 ISP connections for load-balancing or redundancy.
Tested CompatibilityWith extensive testing and development across all networking products, RT-AC87U is specially-designed to work with adapters, media players and other wireless devices to deliver the best performance – even optimizing latest gen gaming consoles Xbox® One and PlayStation 4.
- Multiple device support – Connect over 20 wireless devices at once without compromising performance.
- Time Machine support – Supports Time Machine backups with Apple devices.
- WPS – lets you connect devices instantly with a press of the WPS button.
- VPN support – Configure a VPN server or turn your network-connected devices into VPN-enabled clients with PPTP and OpenVPN protocol support.
- DD-WRT support – Community accessible lets you change the user interface to enable specific tasks, functions and features.
ASUSWRT User InterfaceThe built-in web-based ASUSWRT user interface gives you access to the 30-second, web-based installation process 8 , AiCloud 2.0 and many more advanced wireless management options. ASUSWRT is web-based so unlike other routers that require separate app downloads or limit what you can change via mobile devices, you get access to everything from any device you can connect to the router with.
- Network map – Comprehensive network map shows you at a glance which devices are connected to your router and their connection status.
- Guest Network – Lets you create up to 6 guest networks with customized access times and site restrictions.
- Adaptive QoS – Ensures inbound and outbound bandwidth on both wired and wireless connections for prioritized applications and tasks via pre-defined, drag-and-drop presets.
- AiProtection – Schedule times that devices can access the internet, restrict specific sites and prevent malware infections with Trend Micro-enhanced security.
- USB Application – Control tasks related to USB connected storage devices, printers and other devices.
Advanced SecurityWith advanced built-in parental controls, RT-AC87U features AiProtection with Trend Micro uses real-time network monitoring to detect malware and other intrusions before it reaches your PC or device.
- Router security scan – Scans your router for any security vulnerabilities and recommends options to increase protection.
- Malicious site blocking – Restricts access to known malicious websites in Trend Micro’s database for always-up-to-date protection.
- Infected device prevention and blocking – Prevents infected devices from communicating personal information and/or infected status to external parties.
- Time scheduling – Schedule time limits for specific guest accounts and devices and even schedule what times you want your wireless signal to be active for full proof protection.
- Web and app filters – Keyword and URL filter to block access to unwanted websites and apps.
- Vulnerability protection – Resolves common exploits within the router configuration.
- Port filtering – Customize outbound service filtering and block ports to prevent access from unwanted intrusions.
Your Network With You Wherever You GoASUS AiCloud keeps you close to your data wherever and whenever you have an internet connection. It links your home network and online storage service 9 , giving you access to your files using the AiCloud mobile app on your iOS, Android smartphones or via a personalized browser URL. Even better, AiCloud can be connected to another compatible router to expand your cloud even further and has been updated to include real-time information about your connected devices.
What’s In the Box
Network StandardIEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11h, IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11ac, IEEE 802.11d, IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u, IEEE 802.11i, IEEE 802.11e, IPv4, IPv6
Product SegmentAC2400 AC performance; 600 + 1734 Mbps
Data Rate802.11ac: Up to 1734 Mbps
802.11n (2.4 GHz): Up to 600 Mbps
(5 GHz): Up to 450 Mbps
802.11a/g: Up to 54 Mbps
802.11b: Up to 11 Mbps
Encryption64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP, WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WPA-Enterprise, WPA2-Enterprise, Radius with 802.1x, WPS support
Firewall & Access ControlFirewall: SPI intrusion detection, DoS protection
Access control: Parental control, Network service filter, URL filter, Port filter
ManagementUPnP, DLNA, IGMP v1/v2/v3, DNS Proxy, DHCP, NTP Client, DDNS, Port Trigger, Virtual Server, DMZ, System Event Log
VPN SupportIPSec Pass-Through
WAN Connection TypeInternet connection type : Automatic IP, Static IP, PPPoE(MPPE supported), PPTP, L2TP
WAN Bridge support
Multicast Proxy support
Multicast Rate Setting support
- support BT, NZB, HTTP, ED2K
- support encryption, DHT, PEX and magnet link
- upload and download bandwidth control
- download scheduling
Audio: mp3, wma, wav, pcm, mp4, lpcm, ogg
Video: asf, avi, divx, mpeg, mpg, ts, vob, wmv, mkv, mov
User definable rules for IP/MAC/Port. Upload and Download bandwidth management.
ACK/SYN/FIN/RST/ICMP with Highest priority
- Guest Network (2.4GHz guest network x 3, 5GHz guest network x 3)
- Printer Server: multifunctional printer support(Windows nly), LPR protocol support
- File server: Samba and FTP server with account management
- PPTP VPN server
- Network map
- Traffic monitor
Ports1 x 10/100/1000/Gigabits BaseT for WAN
4 x 10/100/1000/Gigabits BaseT for LAN
1 x USB 2.0
1 x USB 3.0
ButtonWPS Button, Reset Button, Power Button
Power SupplyDC Output : 19 V with max. 2.37A current
OS SupportWindows® 8.1
Windows® Server 2003
Windows® Server 2008
Mac OS X
Mac OS X 10.1
Mac OS X 10.4
Mac OS X 10.5
Mac OS X 10.6
Mac OS X 10.7
Mac OS X 10.8
Mac OS X 10.9
Linux Kernel (Support Ubuntu only)
Weight747g / 1.65 lbs
- 1 ASUS tested and verified coverage. The actual performance may vary as a result of network conditions and environmental factors.
- 2 USB 3.0 rates tested with USB 3.0 compatible devices for theoretical use only. Product and system settings may affect USB 3.0 performance.
- 3 USB 3.0 rates tested with USB 3.0 compatible devices for theoretical use only. Product and system settings may affect USB 3.0 performance. .
- 4 1ASUS tested and verified coverage. The actual performance may vary as a result of network conditions and environmental factors.
- 5 The actual performance may vary as a result of network conditions and environmental factors.
- 6 Requires MU-MIMO-ready client.
- 7 Requires MU-MIMO-ready client
- 8 ASUS-tested and verified setup time. Actual duration may vary by ISP, specific connection type, location, and other factors.
- 9 Selected online storage services only.
- 10 http://fortune.com/worlds-most-admired-companies/ Ranked 4th in Computer Industry